Saturday, March 14, 2009

Broccoli Rapini AND Artic Charr = Wow Meal!

Not weighing today!
Well I am tired of not seeing the scale move so I am not weighing again till Monday.

Yesterday I ate ALLOT of cheese.. no really, ALLLLLOT! (almost 6 ounces) I had gone to WholeFoods for some minerals and herbs I am using and bought three amazing new cheeses.

Yes cheese is allowed but I am sure I went over what would be considered a “sane” amount!

I did just do my calculations in Fitday and cals were 1784 – this does not seem high enough to me, but really with fish and veggies for dinner (even with the Coconut Oil the Broccoli rabi was cooked in) I guess it was not too high. This is on my high side of cals I shoot for but I thought I would be in the 2000 range with all the cheese.. so I am happy!

I had never made Broccoli Raab (also called rapinni)-
I am going to make it again, I really liked it (I didn’t know to blanch it first) but Patrick did not, maybe if I do blanch it next time it will be good enough that Patrick likes it. I really liked it but it’s spicy and bitter like kale.. maybe even more so.. Bet it is GOOD for my liver!


Broccoli Raab / Rabinni

How To Cook - The leaves, stems, and flower heads are cooked (broil, stir-fry, braise, saute, or steam) and eaten just like regular broccoli and have a flavor similar to broccoli but much more pungent. It is quite tasty with a nutty flavor and has a slightly bitter pungent taste. Some say it is aggressively pungent and bitter.

In spite of its uniqueness, broccoli raab is considered an acquired taste - but once acquired, it's addictive! Preparing it is very easy:
Rinse and trim 1/4-inch from bottom of stems.

Cut stalks crosswise into 1-inch pieces (all of it, up to the top of the leaves) and drop them into salted (optional), boiling water.

Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and remove with slotted spoon. Then:

drain as well as you can and the saute the blanched broccoli raab/rapini in a little *olive oil and as much garlic as you like for 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Optional - Add a few dried red pepper flakes.

*Note.. I used coconut oil and LOVED this very spicy veggie… Patrick did NOT.

With the Raab...
We had more of the new fav fish of ours, Arctic char - it’s a fatty cold water fish and AMAZING! Expensive for sure so I have to be careful not to overcook it, both times it has been fantastic.

Last night I ground some grey salt and dried shallots (penzeys.com) together and used some of my Herbes de Provence on it and a little pepper.. 4 min on skin side and 3 min on meat side. It was SO good!!

No comments: