Sunday, July 19, 2009

Veggie diet for a while...

I am working on my liver a bit right now. I want to do the liver cleanse diet (Dr. Sandra Cabot) for 30 days. I would LOVE to go for 2 months but starting with a 30 day commitment.

Today is the start of day three on veggie. I have actually GAINED (back to 231# - blech!) but I am not concerned, I know it will come back off. I am eating too many nuts and seeds and nut butters and granolas. I need to rein myself in on these.

I got beet and green apples to juice and also I want to do my own type of "V8".. I also got tomato, garlic, cucumber, ginger, celery, carrot, parsley (not sure what the other veggie is in V “8”) but this juice sounds great.

I am also making some flax, raw sunflower seed, garlic and sundried tomato dehydrated crackers and hummus. YUM!

I have not officially started the ACTUAL liver cleanse yet as I have not finished the book but I feel I have a jump just doing veggie already.

I have LOTS of energy and I am also very interested in doing as much RAW as I can.
Mom gave me an old RAW cookbook (10 years old) that is one of the very first Raw cookbooks and the author opened the very first raw restaurant in CA.

I like the look of the book, it's very well made, fun and inspiring but some of the recipes have crazy ingredients I have never heard of (and I am a foodie) and I am not sure how practical it is, but I am really loving reading it:





I have also been talking to a lovely lady that is a Chef at a Raw restaurant. (talk about an amazing job!) her name is Michelle Joy and this is her site:

http://purerawjoy.blogspot.com

Michelle is giving me pointers and inspiration and just plain excitement. She has lost 160#!.. I am truly enjoying reading her blog, it is fantastic and has recipes and food combo ideas that are really helping me.

Check out her recipe for Raw Mumbai Spaghetti:

MUMBAI SPAGHETTI
- 1.5 large zucchini's spiralized in bowl

In cuisinart with S blade, add veggies and whir up a spicy sauce:
- 3 or 4 Roma Tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 2 slices fresh ginger, diced
- squeeze of fresh lemon/lime

Pour sauce over spaghetti.

Shake the following spices/seasonings on top of sauced noodles:
- 5 shakes turmeric
- 1 squirt cayenne juice
- 3 shakes coriander
- 5 shakes chili powder, salt free, Frontier brand
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast

Blend and mix up with your fork and enjoy!

Barely any salt/fat...and sooo yummy. When food is spicy enough, you forget there's no salt or fat. Nutritional yeast has only 1 gram of fat and 5 mg sodium
per 2 Tbsp serving. 2 Tbsp of olive oil have like 30 grams of fat... Nama Shoyu has like 900 + mg of sodium per serving... I keep citing that, i know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** need a spiral slicer!! anyway I think this sounds VERY good and I am going to make it soon.

Dawn and I went to a Raw restaurant here in Orlando called "Cafe 118 Deg".. I was blown away and VERY interested in how they can make such amazing gourmet food that is RAW. This is where I got turned on to the flax, sundried tomato crackers. We had some with Raw cashew "hummus".. it was delish.

I found a RAW bootcamp I have been reading about - it's very hard core.. NO fat, nuts or seeds and only raw veggies and fruits. and also I am going to search for more Raw weight loss success stories I love reading these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been reading so much lately about the Raw foods movement.
I REALLY feel drawn to this in an incredible way.

Part of me wants to just jump in, buy all the supplies (I need a vitamix, a new dehydrator with slick mats, a spiral slicer and a mandolin.) but I know I have to take it slow. Hell a vitamix alone is $400.

Today I am making a flax and sunflower seed raw “cracker”.. I am using an old dehydrator mom gave me.
It’s an old Ronco round one. There are no temperature adjustments (my recipe said to set dehydrator on 105Deg) or a fan but I am pretty stoked.

I cut rounds of parchment to try to use instead of the slick mats (sort of like silpat) that most raw foodies use in their dehydrators. I hope and pray the parchment will work!

This is the recipe I am using:

Southwest Flax Crackers

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1/2 cup julienned sundried tomatoes
1/2 cup flax seed
2 cloves garlic, pressed – is this enough?
1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced – I started with half a large – seeds and all
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 T lemon juice (I ended up needing juice from a LARGE lemon )
1 T lemon rind
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup ground raw sunflower seed or raw pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
Nama Shoya

Directions:

Soak sundried tomatoes for at least 1 hour in just enough water to cover them. (added a T of Shoya)

Soak flax seed for at least 2 hours in just enough water to keep them from clumping. (I soaked mine over night in the fridge)

Put sundried tomatoes and soaking water in a blender pitcher. Add garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, and olive oil to pitcher. Blend until you get a slightly chunky paste. Pour tomato paste into a bowl and stir in flax seed, ground sunflower or pumpkin seed, and sea salt.

Spread on teleflex sheets (I am going to try parchment first.. ) using a rubber spatula.

Also use a knife and score mix and dehydrate at 105 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-4 hours. Using a knife, carefully cut into squares (scoring first really helps). Continue to dry for and additional 6 hours. Flip crackers and dry until crisp. I generally dehydrate for a total of about 18 hours. You can use more or less jalapeño, depending on your taste.

########################
(I ended up needing juice from a LARGE lemon and added extra shoya )

I had a hard time getting my bullet to mix at all so I finely chopped everything and mixed it together by hand. It was VERY thick.

It has been in the dehydrator for about three hours and the kitchen has a wonderful smell. I HOPE these are as good as the ones Dawn and I had at Café 118Deg!

No comments: