Sunday, June 06, 2010

Sunday Brunch...




This morning I decided to drive myself crazy and try to do two difficult cooking techniques that I have been working on.. together. I am talking about eggs benedict! I had recently perfected true poached eggs (the secret is the vinegar and salt in the water)… here is a video I followed:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2007/03/eggs-benedicts-last-2-episodes-to-make.html
(speaking of this food blog.. I LOVE it! Great videos and I learned the hollaindaise here as well.)..

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2007/03/hollandaise-101-can-sauce-really-sense.html


My poached eggs were perfect! I LOVE good old style poached eggs. So wonderful for a Sunday brunch or well, any time you have the TIME.

His secret (he is a chef) was to make the eggs up ahead of time and keep them in an icewater bath until ready to serve and just slip them back in the simmering water for a minute. It did not overcook them at all.. just warmed them up perfectly. It’s HARD for one person to time the poached eggs and hollandaise perfectly together to serve them on time so the re-heating the poached eggs was a great idea! I actually only needed to have them sit in the icewater for about 5 min. so I just kept the water I cooked them in, simmering.

The hollandaise was another story. I have been reading several sites about making it and love his Tshirt he has on his site that says “a hollandaise can sense fear”!.. ha!

I decided then to not be afraid and just do it. It actually came together well.. no worries with separating but I should have let it cool a bit because when I poured it over the eggs it ran down onto the plate. I also don’t think I drained the eggs well enough because then the sauce got even more watery. I did notice that about 5 min after we set down to eat (still tasted fantastic!) that the leftover sauce I had not used that was still in the bowl, was nice and thick.. I think the trick is waiting 3 or so minutes before spooning it over the eggs. I WILL get this meal to come out perfect!

I also think I am going to serve the tomatoes on the side as they might have added to the watery-ness of the hollandaise.

All in all I was pleased.. one of the important things with long term low carb is to not get bored.. to not make the same things over and over. The poached eggs were perfect and I didn’t break the hollandaise sauce, it was creamy and smooth after those couple of minutes.

Next time will be perfect and what a fantastic low carb meal this is.. we don’t need no stinking English muffin!!!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Beautiful Cary!! I need to get around to trying a hollandaise sauce. I've been really lazy lately with my cooking, but need to get it together. I'm just unispired when it gets hot - and tend to go with steaks on the grill and a simple veggie. We eat it over and over!